This post may include affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog!
The owner of Whimsy Baby Customs recently asked me to make her a swimsuit. Making swimsuits for others still makes me really nervous, so I decided I would make the style she wanted for my daughter first before tackling the adult suit.
I already had the Jalie Diane in my collection and thought that would work well for the design she was looking for.
My client also wanted a flutter sleeve. I started by widening the sleeves and then added the flutter from the Boo! Designs Long Sleeve Skater Dress. The other thing I did was a color block on the front of the suit.
So there were a couple of things I loved about this suit, and others that I didn’t – which were my fault… so:
- I worked out how to make a fully enclosed lining for this suit! Yay! (If you’re interested, I’ve made a video sew-along in the Whimsy Baby Customs Sew-along FB group)
- The fabric! So ADORABLE! Whimsy Baby Customs have this available with a fat half of strips and fat half of the print, and is sold by the meter. The fabric is so nice to work with too!
- So I thought I was using the latest measurements for my daughter, but for some reason I had her torso measurement too short by at least an inch or two, and her waist too big by an inch. How did this happen??! Ugh, sometimes taking measurements of my kids is impossible! As a result, the suit kept wedging up her butt, and the waist billowed out. SO, thanks to my beautifully fully enclosed lining, it took a bit more of an effort to undo the seams to redo the side seam. (I eventually realized I could just remove the leg elastics, partially open up the lining and fabric, and then re-stitch). The suit still rode up a little, but it wasn’t as bad as before.
- Jalie Diane Swimsuit Pattern
- Whimsy Baby Customs Feeling Tropical Swim Fabric
- JoAnn Swim Lining, nude
3 thoughts on “Jalie Diane Swimsuit – Whimsy Hack”
This is so cute! I am going to remember what you made so I can create this for my granddaughters!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awesome! The Jalie pattern goes from 2t – adult so grandma could even matchy matchy with them! 🤣🤣