It’s time for another Jalie new collection sew! This time I’m showing you the new Nikita swing dress (also available as a tank top).
As a dress, the Nikita is mid-thigh length with a closed racer back and even hem. The tank version is much more interesting, with a cut out in the back and a unique hemline. Both views have a yoke and armbands.
The pattern is available in sizes 2T – plus size adult in both PDF and pre-printed options. I made a size Q bust blended to S at the hip, and added 1 1/2 inches for my height.
I opted to make my Nikita dress in Rayon Spandex and Modal. It’s comfy and easy to wear, but the rayon being rayon has meant I have way lower arm holes than intended. think this armhole size is fine as a beach coverup or workout top, but for an every day dress for me, it’s a bit too low. For my next one I think I’ll try something with less drape such as cotton lycra. But, you live you learn!
The colorblocking in this dress means there are so many options!
- I considered using a stretch lace overlay in the yoke – something I still want to try – (and as I think about that, I’m now thinking that could make a cute nightgown!).
- I also toyed with using some melted crayon Cotton Lycra from MK*Designs (I recently purchased the black and white colorway), but the black wasn’t quite as black as the modal so I nixed that idea.
- As a tank, this would be great with a dri-fit, wickaway jersey or other workout fabric
- Mustard Rayon Spandex – Simply By Ti
- Black/White Striped Rayon Spandex – Fabric Mart
- Black Modal – Not sure – purchased from my destashing neighbor! ❤
Disclosure: I’m a Jalie Patterns Creative Ambassador and received this Jalie pattern complimentary for purposes of review and promotion.