So I’ve been on a sewing hiatus for a few weeks. I just felt like I was getting burnt out, unable to focus my ideas, and needed to catch up on a whole bunch of other things! I thought it would just be a one week hiatus, but next thing I knew, it had become about 2.5 weeks. I guess for most people, this is hardly a hiatus, but I sew nearly every day, so for me this felt pretty extreme!
Almost every Halloween I make my kids’ costumes. Usually they’re fairly elaborate, and I thought I’d make my kids’ costumes this year. But: burn out. I knew I’d signed up to do Sewing By Ti’s Monster Tour so I had to make *SOMETHING* Halloween-y, but I just couldn’t make any decisions on what that would be. And even though I had thoughts of elaborate fairy costumes with all the tulle, wings, and sparkles, I also knew I just had to focus on using what I already had in my fabric stash.
Little Miss 2 is totally in love with Daniel Tiger. She often loves to dance around the house singing, “Tiger family trip!” and whenever it’s her turn to pick TV, it’s always Daniel Tiger or a YouTube about Owl Pellets. (Owls are her other obsession, haha).
I had bought this Daniel Tiger panel from Whimsy Baby Customs a few months ago and I knew she’d be ecstatic to get an outfit made with it. Miss 2 ADORES wearing mama made, and when she saw this one she was just GIDDY with delight (and of course proceeded to sing “Tiger family trip”!).
About the Pattern
Whimsy Baby Customs is currently doing a sewalong for the versatile Max & Meena MegaMax top pattern (there are prizes!) and my plan was to use that as my base, but by the time I was ready to buy it (ahem, two days ago), the code had expired. Sigh. So….
Since I was now under a time crunch, I decided to hack my tried and true Halla Kids Stardust Shirt* (I made size 2/3). Here are my mods:
- Lengthened lower hem by about 4 inches.
- Lengthened arms by 3.25 inches.
- Removed a 1″ strip from the straight edge of the hood pattern piece, then cut those out adding a 1/4″ seam allowance to the cut edge.
- Made an ear template, then cut 4 from cotton lycra and 2 from fleece. (My cotton lycra was really lightweight, so if you use a normal weight cotton lycra, I think you can avoid lining your ears).
I paired it with the FREE Bonny Leggings from Made for Mermaids. I’ve tried a couple of patterns and so far these seem to give my kids the best fit. I made the size 3 so my 2 year old would get a bit extra wear from them.
About the Fabric
- Daniel Tiger Panel – Whimsy Baby Customs
- Navy Blue fleece (I lined the hood with this and it’s super cozy!) – Fabric Mart
- Red & Navy stripe – Purple Seamstress
- Black cotton lycra (I used this for the back because I’d run out of navy) – Simply By Ti
- Red cotton lycra (this was a really lightweight cotton lycra – I want to say 6 or 7oz, and it’s definitely not ideal for this top. But it was the only red I had so I made it work!) – LDG Showroom
- Mustard cotton lycra – Purple Seamstress
Get more inspiration!
Monday, October 1st- Sewing By Ti (intro)
4th- Tenille’s Thread
5th- Sewing By Ti
Monday, October 8th- Back 40 Life
9th- Family of Makers
10th- Made for Little Gents
11th- Big Fly Notions
Sunday, October 14th- The Fairy Dust Bin
17th- Sewing With D
18th- 52 Week Sewing Challenge
19th- Auschick Sews (you are here)
Sunday, October 21st- The Bear and the Pear Atelier
22nd- Seams Like Style
23rd- Seams Sew Lo
24th- My Heart Will Sew On
25th- JOT Designs USA
26th- My Sewing Roots
27th- Manning the Machine
Monday, October 29th- Frulle Mieke
30th- Sew Like a Sloth
31st- Sewing By Ti
*Affiliate Links – I receive a small commission for any purchase you make using my link, at no additional cost to you.