children, sewing

Jalie Diane Swimsuit with Ruffle Hack

I don’t usually sew to sell, however occasionally my arm can be twisted. I was recently asked by one of the fabric hosts that I work with, if I could sew a swimsuit for her daughter. So, she sent me two different fabrics but we had a little breakdown in communication – I sewed up one swimsuit for my daughter in what I thought was the strike-off fabric, only to find the OTHER fabric was the strike!

It’s a good thing swimsuits don’t use much fabric!!

42637522474_66db0fb4c5_b

(Post contains some affiliate links (*))

For this swimsuit, I decided to try a Jalie swim pattern for the first time! I used the brand new Jalie Diane swimsuit 3893 as my base since it has some great color blocking options. Of course, I couldn’t leave it as is, and added ruffles at the butt and around the arms.

3893-diane_technical_drawing (1)
Jalie Diane Tank Swimsuit

42450314015_4217761bb0_b

The butt ruffles were easy to do. I loosely used Marnie’s instructions on Pattern Revolution. When I made my second one (for my client) I decided to finish the raw edges with woolly nylon (narrow overlock), and also cut a seam line (and added seam allowance) to the butt piece so that I could serge the lower ruffle into the suit rather than attempting to stitch it on with my sewing machine and hope that it went on straight.

42637522404_a287e0a70c_b

 

51qamgxs09l

To do the arm ruffles, I followed the instructions in the Oliver +S Building Block Dress book*. I still haven’t actually sewn a dress from that book, but it’s a great resource… and I WILL make a dress from it… eventually…!

After photographing it, I realized that arm ruffles weren’t even, so I later went and seam ripped and redid them!

42450314845_b8e55fe342_b

42450315245_221f2acfe3_b

I fully lined the suit. The instructions mostly have you treat the lining and outer pieces as one, but I prefer to make my seams as hidden as possible. So while I treated them as one for the most part, I did use the burrito method for the crotch seam so that one would be completely hidden.

42637522684_23c677e6a6_b

My one problem with this pattern were the instructions for mashing the sizes together. The pattern says to use the chest size and then lengthen it at the lengthening lines, but this has a couple of problems for children’s suits: 1) The arm holes can be too small, 2) there’s not enough fabric in the hip to cover the butt properly, and 3) the leg holes are the wrong size. SO, with my second one, I actually used the Boo! Designs Ultimate Suit* pattern blending instructions, and that was a lot more successful I think (well, client hasn’t tried it on yet, but my daughter who is a similar size tried it on and liked it a whole lot better, so I’m pretty confident it’s a better fit!).

42450314225_7daf128c8b_b

Anyway, I love love love how this suit turned out and I will be making more! They’ll be perfect for my daughter’s swim lessons. And who knows… maybe I’ll make myself one of these too! (The Jalie Diane swimsuit pattern runs from size 2T up to adult – swimsuits for everyone!)

42637523044_566dbc679f_b

Fabric: I don’t know where the MLP fabric came from, but I got my swim solids from JoAnn!

42637521944_012386544b_b
❤ ❤

ambassador_badge

I’m a Jalie Patterns Creative Ambassador and received this Jalie pattern complimentary for purposes of review and promotion. 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Jalie Diane Swimsuit with Ruffle Hack”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s